Friday, March 30, 2012

Open-thread response

     I got a lot of reviews when it came to the stereotypes people have or have heard when it comes to tattoos. The most common theme of the responses was  "I don't know how they could cover themselves in such tacky artwork. They will never get a job. They must be losers!" Now someone didn't say this personally, but she's heard it from her grandmother more than once.  In fact, she is right. Sometimes being tattooed and having them visible does in fact not help when it comes to getting a job.  However, tattoos are becoming more accepted, and hopefully with the next generation (my kids) they will be even more accepted and won't keep from gaining a job. 
     Other comments I received were how people see no reason for a person to be covered in tattoos. They understand the art aspect of it but still find the body cover almost tacky perhaps even trashy.  Now don't get me wrong. I have seen and i have judged people by the number of tattoos they have or how well they are done, it's human nature. I even judge myself sometimes, and in fact, my own mother judges me.  But the fact someone told me "I can understand why they do it because it is a form of art" shows me times are changing.  Which only means the acceptance is even closer.  The hardest part of acceptance are the generations before us.  Some of the adults in my life see no problem with my tattoos, others just ask "why", my mother she's threatened to kick me out and constantly reminds me that I will regret what I've done. (lies)

     The thing with tattoos, it is an art. It is a form of expression. I know I'm not close to being done with what I want. And I DO realize I could be risking a job in my future. However, most people don't realize I have tattoos, nor the number of them I have. But my tattoos have a meaning, and I'm excited to get more. I love my ink, I love my body. My only response when people say "You're such a beautiful girl......why would you do this.....that's stupid....it's something permanent that you will regret."-----> If the body is a temple, why not decorate the walls?

No comments:

Post a Comment