Friday, March 23, 2012

Now, I will more than likely get some form of crap for doing this however it's a blog for  reason. This is one of my good friends tattoos. He currently has two, and just recently started tattooing up, however he has big plans (just like me) to have plenty more.  The reason I say I will get crap for this if he sees it is mainly because this isn't something I would do. Do I like the band Thursday? Yes. Are they my favorite? No. Taking Back Sunday is however, and I still would never get their name tattooed on me forever. The reasoning for him isn't just because Thursday is his favorite band, but they helped him out. Their lyrics and all. Do I still think stupid reason to get the name? Yes, and I have told him. BUT it is his body. The part that sticks out most is the bird. His friend Ian had drew it up. Ian passed away a few ago. They listened to Thursday and shared a mutual respect when it came to music. Do I still think it's a stupid idea? No.
The main reason for this long paragraph is the fact that although each person has a tattoo, and although we might agree with the other person's choice, there is meaning behind it. Hopefully and usually. Just because I would never take "Taking Back Sunday" tattooed on me, doesn't meant I'm not planning some form of lyrics. It mainly just goes to show to never judge a book by it's cover. I am guilty of it. I always will be. But being in the tattooed world has helped prove to me that you need to open your eyes more...Just because you think something is pointless and stupid, the other person doesn't.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/#!/josh.fecondo
Done at Red Lotus Tattoo in Lansdale, PA

4 comments:

  1. Bravo for this post! I was going to say, "he made a terrible mistake," but after learning the reason why he made the choice, it's not necessarily a bad one. I think it's a good tribute piece.

    When I move to Wisconsin, I plan on getting my first tattoo. I'm debating between lyrics or something quoted from a piece of literature I love. However, like the Thursday tattoo, I'll have to make sure it's not something that'll seem like a good idea in the moment, but something I think is profound (if you get what I'm saying, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I always saw getting a bands name tattooed as sort of a cop out for a fan. It's one thing to get something that can be related to the band, i.e. an image or phrase that only that person understands, but to go and become an advertisement for the band seems tacky. Tattoos, in my opinion, are and should be very personal. Get creative if you're gonna appreciate a band on your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! I'm planning lyrics from Taking Back Sunday, but not the actual name. I still mess around with him, but there is more than just the meaning of it being a band behind it so I try not to give too much crap hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find tattoos quite fascinating. I got my first one back in october. I think you raise such a great issue about "meaningless" tattoos. I think tattoos are a type of art work and can easily be compared to the issue of what is art? To an artists the meaning of their art work is something so much more then what the viewer sees. I think it is important to know the meaning behind a tattoo before you judge it. But like you said PJ, we are all guilty of judging a book by it's cover :p

    ReplyDelete